Getting online today is easy. It's as simple as creating a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. You pick one of the many free providers and start dragging and dropping your content where you want it. It's really simple.
Well it's not THAT simple
The free aspect of website setup is the really simple part. Here is the list of all the fun stuff that isn't always the easiest:
- DNS (Name Resolution)
- Setting up custom domains (i.e. comradetech.com vs. comradetech.wordpress.com, etc)
- Subdomains (i.e. blog.comradetech.com vs. comradetech.com/blog)
- Website redirects for special offers
- Tracking your page views
- Calculating the number of clicks your shared links have
- Learning where traffic comes from
- Add-ons & Plug-ins
- Email list collection
- Social sharing features
- and much more
All these items come well after you have started creating content. That is the first and most important step. Start getting your content created and check back as I start digging deeper into some of these important steps to properly configure your website.